‘Tis the season for yard work, cleaning, beers, and BBQ’s. Before all of the fun starts, make sure you are taking care of your casa! Doing seasonal maintenance every year can save you thousands. Take a look at this list and ask yourself the last time you addressed any of these issues. Do it now. You will not regret it!
Doors and Windows
- Make sure all windows are not broken and repair any damaged or missing screens.
- Replace worn weatherstripping.
- Inspect caulking, and repair any deteriorating areas and seal all gaps.
- Change your furnace filter. This should be done every 3 months.
- Clear the area around your furnace and AC unit.
- If you have a newer AC unit, take a hose and spray the unit down until water coming out of it is clear.
- Monitor for unusual noises.
- Have your unit professionally inspected.
- Check the wear, repair or replace any damaged or missing shingles.
- Clean out your gutters.
- Check fascia and soffits for deterioration and damage.
- Check the attic for any evidence of leaks.
- Trim all tree branches and other plants back away from the touching the roof.
- Check all exterior hose bibs, faucets, and supply valves for leaks. Repair if necessary.
- Turn off water main, then back on and test for leaks. Repair if necessary.
- Check around tubs, under sinks, shower doors, and around toilets for leaks. Repair if necessary.
- Check water pressure.
- Check sprinklers for any breaks or leaks and repair if necessary.
- Check all exposed wiring for wear.
- Trip circuit breakers to be sure that they are shutting off properly.
- Label your circuit breakers if not already done.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs.
- If any issues are found contact a licensed electrician for repairs.
- Test smoke detectors.
- Check all railings for loose parts.
- Locate gas/water shut-off valves.
This can all be done in a weekend and would be well worth your time. Whether you plan on selling a home, or living in it for the rest of your days, you will still need to keep it functional. We have seen FAR too many cases in which people are spending thousands on repairs after issues are uncovered during an inspection. Many times these can be avoided with simple maintenance. If you are thinking of selling your home this year, reach out to our residential specialist Brad Hansen at 801-230-5236 to help you save on repairs and get the top dollar out of your home.
[contact-form to=’Cody@TheMuveGroup.com, Matt@TheMuveGroup.com, Brad@TheMuveGroup.com’ subject=’Brads Spring Cleaning Post’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Phone’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]